Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Different Brand of Granola

There are any number of reasons to go green. Some are altruistic, some are Calvinistic, some are opportunistic. For me it comes down to the simple maxim: don't shit where you eat. Many of the environmental ills plaguing the earth can be rectified by adhering to this edict. There is no need for scaremongering, no need for 'do as I say, not as I do' hypocrisy, and no need to purchase indulgences from eco-popes.

There are tremendous benefits to going green beyond reducing your carbon footprint. When I stumbled upon Nature's Gate Shampoo, for instance, I just needed to wash my hair. Turns out that what is healthy for me is actually healthy for the environment, too. Who'd have thunk it.

This holds true for every other aspect of daily life, as well. Eating fresh foods devoid of poisons makes me feel better physically, not just psychologically. Living in a walkable community affords me a better quality of life as I get plenty of exercise walking around town, never have to worry about how I'm getting home, and am not dependent on any form of transportation other than my own two feet to meet my daily needs. It also means that I can choose to have a sports car instead of a family truckster. But I'm hanging on to the XC70 until such time as I can swing a Tesla Roadster.

I intend to espouse the other unheralded benefits of green design. Each strategy employed, every product used will adhere to the favorite maxim and provide measurable benefits to those who make use of these buildings.  Does that make me a granola? You betcha. Just a different brand.

Posted via email from Kenneth Hitchens: Architect

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning From Sprawl??!!

Plenty of developers want to be the first to be second. In other words they want somebody else to blaze the trail, and pay for all the res...