Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sidewinder Ranch

Khatalogtx4

There have been several problems I have been wrestling with as a designer. One has been contending with the sliding glass door which, if you're interested in attainable housing, is something you simply cannot ignore or wish away. Another is contending with infill lots which pose unique challenges because of the desire to enhance the existing neighborhood and provide a compelling plan with all the modern conveniences. The third issue is relating all the various design criteria to the urban condition of the neighborhood. I loved living in a townhouse but missed not having a porch. I wanted to find a way to meet all those challenges while affording maximum flexibility to the homeowners so they can customize the interior and exterior appearance to their liking.

It's been a lot of fun, I must admit. The end result might look quite simple but, as is always the case, it's so much harder to simplify.

The KHASA F was developed for a client in Texas. They needed a two bedroom, two bathroom home around 1,200 s.f. on a zero lot line plot. I wanted all the living spaces to engage the street, a nice patio near the sidewalk, and some private outdoor space. There will be a garage or carport out back. Because of the proximity to the sidewalk I think there needs to be a garden wall to mediate the connection to the street. This creates a defined separation between public and private space without adding the expense of a porch.

The dining room and master bedroom open up onto a private courtyard. I'm showing a hot tub in this location since that's what I'd want. You don't have to put a hot tub there if you don't want. If you are so inclined, however, you'll notice the wall which is perfectly placed to hold the TV and tiki bar*. 

As with all KHASA plans, the KHASA F is designed for steps or ramps. It can also stretch in different directions to better take advantage of larger plots, if desired.

*Tiki bar plans not included.

Posted via email from Kenneth Hitchens

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning From Sprawl??!!

Plenty of developers want to be the first to be second. In other words they want somebody else to blaze the trail, and pay for all the res...