Monday, September 17, 2012

Adamesque Simple Stick

Chichester-terrace-2
A brief follow up on my post about the simple stick. I find the work being done by Ben Pentreath in the UK to be an excellent example of the simple stick being applied. His project in Chichester is simple, elegant, and refined. Yet, at the end of the day it's legible. There is no confusion as to whether or not this is residential.

But is it Classical? I think it meets the ideal splendidly.

While I'm at it the urban planner in me requires I call out the quality of the street design. Notice that there is a change of material and texture on the street differentiating the footpath from the parallel parking and the parking from the road. None of the swirly nonsense that dazzles the dim when viewed from a blimp, but is absolutely dreadful when seen at ground level. Excellent!

Posted via email from Kenneth Hitchens

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning From Sprawl??!!

Plenty of developers want to be the first to be second. In other words they want somebody else to blaze the trail, and pay for all the res...