Sunday, August 14, 2011

Tiny House Variations

This is a cross post from my blog, but I've added a couple 3D images to help illustrate the concept.

I drew up this house inspired by the shotgun houses of New Orleans. What I was hoping to do was provide the livability expected in an up market home in a smaller, more affordable package. We have grown accustomed to each kid having their own bedroom, their own bathroom, the master bedroom having a private bath, and having a powder room so everybody's own room remains private. It's practically an apartment building with everybody having their own space. Since the bathrooms and kitchens are the most expensive rooms in the house this tacking on of extra bathrooms is quite expensive.

My solution is a 3 bedroom 2 bath house that lives large. The master bathroom can be used as a powder room by providing another door to the master bedroom so it can remain private during the day. I also provided a split bath upstairs with toilet and vanity on one side and shower room on the other. This allows one kid to be taking a shower while the other is brushing their teeth without increasing fixture count. At the top of the stairs between the bedrooms is a desk to expand the space available. For those families that want their kids to share a computer this is the perfect spot. This would have saved my parents a lot of grief.

The service core including the kitchen has 8' ceilings while the living room and master bedroom have 12' ceilings. This keeps the number of stairs down, reduces the amount of construction materials, and provides gracious ceilings where they are most appreciated. If a larger living room is desired, or a proper dining room required, the plan can be easily expanded by elongating the front room. This house can also be expanded by adding a bay window to the eat-in kitchen creating a larger dining space and replacing the closets in the hall with a bay window creating a small home office.

The central core can be standardized, even premanufactured off site, and contains all the plumbing. The master bedroom and living room, shown in the lovely translucent green in the 3D model, can be adjusted to the needs of the homeowner. Add the porch on the front and you have the completed house. I also have a variant where the core is rotated to face the street which can grow to the front and back, as well. I'll save that for another post.

I hope you like it.

 

Posted via email from I S R Incremental Sprawl Repair Working Group

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning From Sprawl??!!

Plenty of developers want to be the first to be second. In other words they want somebody else to blaze the trail, and pay for all the res...