This is another house I designed a couple years back. A couple Classical Vernacular versions of this were built at The Waters in Alabama. These two elevations are the French Colonial and Victorian Vernacular versions of the same plan. These plans were part of the original template homes that were meant to fit the various lot conditions typical of a Traditional Neighborhood Development. What we were trying to do was create a main building that could actually act as a main building. What I mean is that the home could be built without the back building and still work as a complete home. All the template homes were designed with a back building and out building that allowed for growth over time. In doing so they weren't breaking new ground, only following the guidance inherent in the Smart Code. This particular house incorporates some of the Build Small, Live Large concepts I used in the Montgomery Living Idea House. The bay window on the second level provides a sitting area for the master bedroom, and there is room at the top of the stairs for a shared computer desk. How these spaces are used is ultimately up to the homeowner, but within a small footprint you have a house with a large island kitchen with window seat, generous living area, two bedrooms, special area for a home office, and separate sitting room off the master.
My intent would be to cozy a dining room table behind the couch and expand the table on those very rare occasions I need more than four chairs. That's just my preference. For those that prefer a more formal dining experience there are many options. You can expand the envelope by enclosing part of the front porch, you can build the knuckle that extends into the back yard, or you can simply rework the kitchen to be more compact and not have to build any more square footage. Part of the reason there is so much counter space is because in the version I dreamed up for myself I have an under-counter washer and dryer in the kitchen. I had that when I lived in Glasgow and loved it, saw them in Australia, too. These under counter units, nearly two decades later, are now available here in the US and - get this - provide efficient cleaning and a place to fold laundry. What a coup. Enjoy.
My intent would be to cozy a dining room table behind the couch and expand the table on those very rare occasions I need more than four chairs. That's just my preference. For those that prefer a more formal dining experience there are many options. You can expand the envelope by enclosing part of the front porch, you can build the knuckle that extends into the back yard, or you can simply rework the kitchen to be more compact and not have to build any more square footage. Part of the reason there is so much counter space is because in the version I dreamed up for myself I have an under-counter washer and dryer in the kitchen. I had that when I lived in Glasgow and loved it, saw them in Australia, too. These under counter units, nearly two decades later, are now available here in the US and - get this - provide efficient cleaning and a place to fold laundry. What a coup. Enjoy.


No comments:
Post a Comment