Saturday, May 28, 2011

Keeping The Vision : It's All In The Details

Bedknobs

In this series I'll go over some of the details that confound some and yield less than gracious spaces. To some this will seem obvious, yet I have seen the same problems repeated throughout the last fifteen years. This post will focus on the importance of bedroom furniture on the floor plan.

When reviewing plans I see many bedrooms showing mattresses illustrating how the furniture might be arranged and thus the intended circulation through the space. I notice few showing a full bed frame with headboard and footboard. I also notice that few show a space between the nightstands and the wall. It's hard to plug the lamp in if you don't leave some room. For the purpose of graphic convention I think it's fine to keep the drawing clean.  When I get concerned is when I see that the actual sizes and requirements have not been accounted for yet door swings barely miss the proposed furniture, circulation patterns will conflict with night stands, closets become inaccessible, and the livability of the plan is negatively impacted.

At risk of stating the obvious, when designing it is imperative to consider the actual size of objects. The dimensions are readily available online from your favorite furniture stores. By using this information when sizing and shaping rooms you'll be sure that the intended layout will work. Bottom line, don't let expediency ruin your plan.

Posted via email from Kenneth Hitchens

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning From Sprawl??!!

Plenty of developers want to be the first to be second. In other words they want somebody else to blaze the trail, and pay for all the res...